Welcome to my blog for the 2008-2009 school year! Using our class blogs, we will be "diving in" and discussing topics and literature that we consider through English 10. These blogs will also be forums on which to share your thoughts on your independent reading. I'm excited to see your ideas!

Saturday, September 20, 2008

A window into North Korea

Over Chuseok break I read this graphic novel by Guy Delisle, a French Canadian who spent several months working as an animator in North Korea. Delisle's book traced his experiences and showed some of his interactions with the people and the country. I thought it was a very interesting read.


One of the things that really struck me while reading this book was how deliberately Delisle's guides and the government worked to make North Korea look like a peaceful, affluent, happy, and proud nation. There were so many examples of monuments constructed purely for foreigners' sakes, luxeries denied to the people yet allotted to tourists, areas hidden from outsider's eyes, etc. Before reading this book, I was already aware of many of the hardships that Delisle described. I was not particularly surprised by the poverty he noticed or his descriptions of the excessive honor paid to Kim Jong il. Nor was I surprised that Delisle's tone was condescending at times as he questioned North Koreans' allegiances. I can relate to this attitude--it is difficult at times to restrain some of our disbelief and try to really understand what people experience or believe. However, I appreciated that Delisle tried to restrict his judgement and show some of the more human aspects of the people in North Korea. While it is still clear that he disagrees with most of the practices of the people, Delisle strives to paint a more balanced view of the country.



I would recommend this book and would love to discuss it with anyone who has read it. Has anyone else read other books that give good insight into North Korean culture?

No comments: